Sunday, August 25, 2013

First Week Math Centers

My kinders are off to a great start with our math centers! We have mainly been working on number recognition, counting objects, and patterning so far.

They have time for two math centers a day, and over the course of the week they have a chance to do all nine of the math centers with their partner. They get about 10 minutes for each math center.

I've been impressed that in just 7 days of school, they almost all know how to read our centers workboard to see which centers I've assigned them for that day. I'll try to snap a photo of our math centers shelf and workboard this week, in case anyone is interested.

Center 1: Making patterns with different colored bears.
 
 Center 2: Making pictures with pattern blocks.


 Center 3: Making numbers out of play-doh. You can download these free play-doh mats here from Peace, Love & Learning. I love how they even include ten frames for the kids to represent the number using little play-doh balls. 

 
Center 4: Making numbers out of wikki stix.

 Center 5: Cookie jar counting game. Students roll the dice, and then color in a cookie with that number of chocolate chips. You can download this freebie here, from Happy Teacher, Happy Kids.
 
 Center 6: Number puzzles. (I've built up a collection of different number puzzles from Target and the Dollar Store over the years. The kids especially like this foam one.)

 Center 7: Race to Trace. Students roll the dice and then trace the number they rolled on their paper. It's a race to see who traces all of their numbers first. You can download this freebie here, from Shari Sloane's website (lots of other great math games on this site too). 
 
 Center 8: Number Match. Student spin the number spinner and then cover up the box on their game board that shows that many items. My kids were trying to get 3 in a row for bingo. This is one of my freebies, and you can download it here.
 
 Center 9: Making patterns with Duplo blocks. You can download the free patterns here, along with some other great math games. 
 
I'd love to know what kinds of math games you like to start the year with- I'm always looking for new games to try with my kinders!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post on math centers since it's all available for free! I just forwarded your post to a brand new teacher. Thank you for all the free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make some bear pattern cards like the one you are using above. Can you suggest where to get these please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy. I bought the teddy bear pattern cards at a local teacher store, but I see that they also sell them in Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Bears-Family-Pattern-LER0753/dp/B000F8XF8Q/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_y

      You might be able to find them at a teacher store near you- they are made by Learning Resources.

      Delete
  3. I would love to know where to get the lovely teddy pattern mats.

    Judy
    Australian Early Childhood Teacher

    ReplyDelete