Monday, January 16, 2012

Snowman Shake

Here's a fun little game students can play to practice sight words (or alphabet letters for those kiddos that still need that). I got this great idea from another kindergarten teacher and my students love it. To play Snowman Shake, you need a snowman container, 2 blank dice, and the recording sheet.



The snowman is easy to make-just peel the label off a creamer bottle and draw the snowman's face on with a sharpie. If you can't find a creamer bottle or something similar to use, you could probably just draw a snowman onto a plastic cup for this game.

To make the dice-I used little foam cubes from Dollar Tree (I got a huge pack of them earlier this year and love that the foam makes such quiet dice). I have also used little wooden blocks from my classroom before to make my own dice since those blank dice at the teacher store can be pricey! Then, I just write the sight words (or alphabet letters if that is what my students are practicing) on the sides of the dice with a sharpie.

To play, students take off the snowman's hat (the lid) shake the 2 dice inside of the snowman and roll them into the little basket. Then they record the sight words they rolled on the recording sheet. Click on the picture below to grab a copy of this sight word freebie.



If you would prefer a copy of the recording sheet with alphabet letters click here. Or, for a blank copy of the recording sheet that you can write your own words on, click here.

I hope your students enjoy this game as much as mine do! Something about shaking up the dice inside the snowman makes this game endlessly appealing to 5 year olds! Even though we're now moving on from our study of all things winter and snow to begin learning about Martin Luther King and Chinese New Year, I'll leave this game out  as a literacy center for the rest of the month.

10 comments:

  1. Love it, thanks...just pinned this! I wasn't able to download the blank sheet. It brought up the ABC page again.

    Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing :) Have a happy rest of your day :)

    Lisa :) (new follower)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops-sorry about that Colleen. I just fixed the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cute idea. I got the ABC page and blank page, but the link is broken for the sight words page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link seems to be working again now-so hopefully you can download it. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the game idea!! I am going to make it today and share it with the other K teachers in my building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snowman shake is soooo cute! Thanks for sharing.
    I am your newest follower :)

    http://wildaboutk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute idea! I will be saving my creamer containers for this station.

    Barb
    meet me at the zoo...
    kinderzoo

    ReplyDelete